What brush should I use for my dog ?
June 5, 2012
Importance of brushing your dog’s coat……
Double coated breeds
Akita’s, Malamutes, German shepherds etc…
For these Type breeds I start by using a rubber curry comb over the coat to remove dander and loose coat. Next I use a slicker brush be careful not to press to hard on the dogs skin as this will cause abrasions. On long coated breeds layer the coat as you go. Next I use an under coat rake to get rid of any dead under coat the slicker has missed. I finish off with a grey hound comb ran through the coat to check the coat is free from tangles. I like to wipe a damp towel round the dogs muzzle to finish.
Silky coated breeds
Cocker spaniel, Springer spaniel, Red setter etc….
For these type breeds I start by using a slicker layering the coat as you brush. Next I use a pin brush on the ears if the dog has long ears I find it best to work from the bottom up, remember to brush both sides of the ear. Next I use a rubber curry comb in firm strokes over the body to produce a shine. I finish by running a grey hound comb all through the coat to make sure every tangle has gone.
Short coated breeds
Dalmatian, Labrador, Beagle etc…
For these type breeds I start by using a rubber curry brush firmly in circular motions on dogs coat. Next I use an under coat rake to get up any remaining loose coat a shedding blade works great too. I finish off by using a tea towel rubbed over coat it gives a great shine.
Long coated breed
Shih tzu’s Lhasas ‘s, Old english sheep dog etc…
For these type breeds I start by using a pin brush layering the coat as I brush , if the coat has lots of tough matts I use a slicker brush after. Next I use the under coat rake to check for any dead under coat. I finish off by running a grey hound comb through the coat to make sure its tangle free. A piece of silk stroked over the dogs coat afterwards eliminates static and gives shine.
Grooming should be an enjoyable experience for both you and your dog , not only does it help cement a bond between you it also helps get your dog used to being handled all over . Which means your dog will have a more amenable temperament and it will make your vets and groomers life easier!
Dog grooming tips!
- Use a conditioner and water solution as a grooming spray made up of 1 part conditioner 3 parts water in a spray bottle. Pantene works great this helps get those tangles out with less brake age.
- On breeds that have top knots use a flea comb to get those last strays hairs in!
- Use an old bath sponge when shampooing to get lots of larther.
- Use an old dressing gown to keep your dog warm when they have just been bathed , if short coated and a towelling material is used it also dry the coat well too !
- Cod liver oil fed daily or evening primrose works great by making your dogs coat shiny from the inside !
- For dry noses vasaline works fab it’s also great for chapped paws too.
- Chamomile tea bags steeped in boiling water and left to cool works great as a final rinse on light coloured coats to brighten them right up.
- On dark coloured coats use cherry and logan berry tea bags stooped in hot water and allowed to cool as a final rinse. This gives a great shine and brings out the colour.
Amikaya offers available
November 26, 2013
We would like to wish all our customer a very merry Xmas and to get our customers dogs Xmas ready we are offering a special Xmas pamper package . This includes a photo on our facebook page or sent to you.
Walkies Pamper Packs
August 22, 2013
Walkies pamper packs.
Microfibre wash mitt (pink or blue)
Microfibre towel (pink or blue)
Double sided brush
A bottle of Ancol Tropical shampoo and conditioner
A pack of 8 in 1 pet wipes
A bandana (either pink or blue spotty)
A pack of dog treats
Bathing tips written by Charley from Walkies
These all come in a hessian bag, and are available in blue or pink. These make a lovely gift for someone who has just got a dog or puppy, or just for a dog lover.
These packs are great value at £18.00 (postage is extra) and all money goes to Walkies Rehoming.
July 8, 2012
These bandanna’s look great on and are available in small and medium.
Large coming soon!
Free Postage & Packaging
Introduction to dog grooming
June 7, 2012
This voucher entails the holder to watch and be taught how to groom their dog . Charley our groomer shows the holder step by step how to achieve the look they want for their dog. Includes step by step manual too.
June 7, 2012
Pamper Package Voucher
June 7, 2012
Paw Print Bows
June 7, 2012
Why not pamper your pet with these paw print bows and they are hard wearing and super cute! They are available in pairs. Please state colour you require.
Bach flower remedies
June 7, 2012
Bach flower remdies are used to treat a variety of canine problems.
- 30ml bottle
- Dosage : 16 drops per day, given as 2 x 8 drops or 4 x 4 drops, either in food or water.
- Each bottle should last approximately one month.
Please Keep the glass dropper and bottle away from your dog. If spraying, pump a few puffs into the air around the dog, at least 1 foot away.
Do not spray in sensitive areas such as eyes and nose.